1. moving or directed away from a centre or axis.
2. operated by means of centrifugal force.
3. Physiology: transmitting nerve impulses away from the central nervous system; efferent.
4. Botany: developing or progressing outward from a centre or axis, as in a flower cluster in which the oldest flowers are in the centre and the youngest flowers are near the edge.
5. tending or directed away from centralisation, as of authority.
Etymology: from New Latin centrifugus, Latin centrum (the middle) + fugere (to flee).